Jinsoo An is a Korean American immigrant, designer, researcher and technologist dedicated to enhancing human relations
- Profiled in Wired, VICE, BBC, New York Times, Slate, Business Insider, NPR and more
- Presented at TEDx, Google X, Google Food Lab, UCLA, Impossible Foods, Institute for the Future, Sony and more
- Featured in the best seller Gastrophysics: The New Science of Eating by Charles Spence
- Named by J. Walter Thompson Intelligence as a leading influencer in tech
- Previously Product Owner of Supply Chain Management Cohort at Google Food Lab Accelerator
- Appeared on a multi-part science documentary, Rêver le futur: L'alimentation du futur, syndicated on Planète+ and Netflix worldwide
- Mentioned in textbooks such as Context: The Effects of Environment on Product Design and Evaluation by Dr. Herbert L. Meiselman and Multisensory Packaging: Designing New Product Experiences by Carlos Velasco
- Exhibited at GLOBALE: Exo-Evolution curated by Peter Weibel at ZKM in Germany
- Permanent installation in Thinking Space Technology at Futurium museum in Berlin, Germany
Past through present and future
Prior to immigrating to California in 1995, Jinsoo was raised on a small family-owned farm in South Korea, just a few miles away from the DMZ. Surrounded by wet rice fields and unpaved roads where an endless chain of tanks roared, he often waved his arms and shouted, “M.R.E.!.” Occasionally, a friendly soldier in an enormous tank would pop out to throw him a bag of what seemed like a Happy Meal from outer space.
Through this curiosity-ridden environment juxtaposed with home-brew games, gadget teardowns and hanging fermented soybeans (meju), he developed a peculiar fascination for the world.
Decades later, his passion has evolved into creating unique digital experiences across 20 industries such as food, gaming, electronics, apparel and automotive. With these experiences, he has helped to shape the lives of hundreds of millions of people in N. America and Europe.
In 2013, he became involved in a series of projects that decoded how people interpret senses and emotions. In the following year, he founded Project Nourished, a public-benefit initiative with a goal of diversifying methods of consumption and maximizing therapeutic qualities of ingestibles through embedded tableware and mixed-reality ingestible.
During his spare time, Jinsoo enjoys collecting and restoring antiquated cameras and electronics. He also loves to inspire people of all ages by speaking to them and educating them on a number of topics related to the human condition. Some of his favorite topics include: play, hyperreality, fandom, commensality, social isolation, aging and community reintegration. Periodically, he engages with local and global communities to strengthen public–private partnerships in the hope of improving the role of technology in people’s daily lives.
Please feel free to reach out about any inquiries.