Jinsoo an is a leading Korean American designer, researcher, and technologist who develops intelligent platforms
- Profiled in Wired, VICE, BBC, New York Times, Slate, Business Insider, NPR, and more
- Presented at TEDx, Google X, Google Food Lab, UCLA, Impossible Foods, Institute for the Future, Sony, and more
- Featured in the best seller Gastrophysics: The New Science of Eating by Charles Spence
- Named by J. Walter Thompson Intelligence as a leading influencer in tech
- Product Owner of Supply Chain Management Cohort at Google Food Lab Accelerator
- Appeared on a multi-part science documentary, Rêver le futur: L'alimentation du futur, syndicated on Planète+ and Netflix worldwide
- Mentioned in textbooks such as Context: The Effects of Environment on Product Design and Evaluation by Dr. Herbert L. Meiselman and Multisensory Packaging: Designing New Product Experiences by Carlos Velasco
- Exhibited at GLOBALE: Exo-Evolution curated by Peter Weibel at ZKM in Germany
Past through present and future
Prior to relocating to California in 1995, Jinsoo was raised on a small farm in South Korea, just a few miles away from the DMZ. The farm was surrounded by wet rice fields and unpaved streets where hundreds of tanks would roam. Jinsoo remembers waving his arms and yelling, “M.R.E.!” at the soldiers in their enormous tanks, hoping to score a bag of what seemed like a Happy Meal. Inside a modular dwelling constructed by his grandfather, bricks of fermenting meju used to hang above a window. Beneath, there laid a stack of floppy disks containing home-brew games, a row of colorful origami creatures, and a collection of electronic parts from teardowns. Through these playful environments, Jinsoo developed a unique fascination for how tangible and digital objects are interconnected.
Since 2008, Jinsoo has designed acclaimed platforms for over 40 Fortune 500 companies across 20 industries. With these platforms, he has helped to shape the experiences of hundreds of millions of people in North America. In 2013, he became involved in a series of projects that decoded how people interpret senses and emotions. In the following year, he founded Project Nourished, a public-benefit initiative with a goal of diversifying methods of consumption, maximizing therapeutic qualities of ingestibles, and reducing the use of natural resources.
During his spare time, Jinsoo enjoys collecting and restoring antiquated cameras and electronics. He also loves to inspire people of all ages by speaking to them and educating them on a number of topics related to the human condition. Some of his favorite topics include play, hyperreality, fandom, commensality, social isolation, aging, and community reintegration. Periodically, he engages with local and global communities to strengthen public–private partnerships in the hope of improving the role of technology in people’s daily lives.
Please feel free to reach out about any inquiries.