Jinsoo an is a designer, researcher, and technologist fascinated with people's changing behavior
- Profiled in Wired, VICE, BBC, NPR, Slate, Business Insider, and more.
- Presented at TEDx, Google X, Google Food Lab, UCLA, Impossible Foods, Institute for the Future, Sony, and more.
- Featured in the best seller Gastrophysics: The New Science of Eating by Charles Spence.
- Named by J. Walter Thompson Intelligence as a leading figure in tech.
- Appeared on a multi-part documentary, Rêver le futur: L'alimentation du futur, syndicated on Planète+ and Netflix worldwide.
- Exhibited at GLOBALE: Exo-Evolution curated by Peter Weibel at ZKM in Germany.
Past through present
Prior to relocating to California in 1995, Jinsoo was raised in a small farm located near the DMZ in South Korea. He grew up next to an origami paper factory surrounded by wet rice fields and unpaved streets where hundreds of tanks would roam. He used to wave his arms and yell, “M.R.E.!” at soldiers in enormous tanks hoping to score a bag of what seemed like Happy Meal. Inside a modular dwelling built by his grandfather, bricks of fermenting meju used to hang above a desk that had a neatly-organized collection of electronic parts and stacks of 3.5 floppy disks containing home-brew games. Through this juxtaposed environment, Jinsoo developed a unique fascination towards the way things are connected with one another.
Since 2008, Jinsoo has been designing acclaimed products for over 40 Fortune 500 companies across 20 industries. With these products, he helped to shape the experiences of hundreds of millions of people in N. America. In 2013, he became involved in bringing positive social change by understanding how people interpret senses and emotions. In the following year, he founded an open-source initiative, Project Nourished, in a warehouse in Skid Row. Originally began as a playful attempt to recreate Peter Pan’s magical dinner scene in the film Hook, the project evolved over time to address far-reaching problems related to eating and well-being. Currently, the project is committed to diversifying the role and consumption method of ingestible with computational gastronomy through educational programs.
During his spare time, Jinsoo enjoys collecting and restoring antiquated cameras and electronics. He also loves to inspire people of all ages by speaking and educating on various topics. His favorite topics include play, fandom, commensality, social isolation, and aging. Periodically, he engages with local communities to strengthen public–private partnerships to improve the role of technology in people’s daily lives.
Please feel free to reach out about any inquires.